This is the image before I changed it up some. I needed to add something to it to make it relevant for a children's book portfolio. I thought making it an Alphabet book page made perfect sense.
There was also some concern that the grass in his/her mouth doesn't look like it was actually in the mouth. And that the portion of the rhino's body below the face was hard to read and understand. I wanted to address those issues too.
At the end of the day I did struggle with adding the letter in. I wanted to make it composed of grass or 3-D in some way. But I settled on simpler being better. I integrated the letter into it's environmemt but kept it fairly non-rendered and easily readable. The objective of the piece should be that the letter is legible and easily identifiable for the young reader. I think this change makes the piece have more of a story and purpose and considerably more relevant to my portfolio.
I'll probably also submit this piece to Illustration Friday for the word this week, idle. It'll be my first time and hopefully it'll be received well. Here's hoping!! :)